Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get a copy of my tax bill?

Tax bills are issued by the Tax Collector’s Office. Please contact that Office at (207) 725-6657.

How do I change my address on my tax bill?

Though tax bills are issued by the Tax Collector, the property information, including mailing address, is maintained by the Assessor’s Office. Please contact us at or by phone at (207) 725-6650.

I’ve bought (or sold) a mobile home, how do I change the ownership information for tax billing purposes?

Please provide the Assessor’s Office with a bill of sale for all mobile home transfers. If you do not have a bill of sale, please provide other official documentation showing transfer of ownership. You may send the bill of sale (or other documentation) by mail, as an e-mail attachment to, or visit us in person.

I recently sold (or bought) a property why did I receive (or not receive) the tax bill?

Under Maine Law the payment of property taxes is the responsibility of the owner on record as of April 1st.  The tax bill for the first half of annual taxes due will always have the owner on record for April 1st on the bill. If we are notified that the owner has changed since April 1st, we can put “c/o [new owner’s name]” and new mailing address on that bill. For more information regarding the obligations of buyers and sellers please see the “Important Notice about Property Taxes for Buyers and Sellers”.

I recently purchased a subdivided parcel, why did I not receive a tax bill for that individual parcel?

Under Maine Law all property is taxed as it sits on April 1st. If you purchased a property that was split or divided from another parcel after April 1 you will not receive a separate tax bill until the following tax year. For your tax obligation please see the “Important Notice about Property Taxes for Buyers and Sellers”.

I am planning to build a new house, how do I obtain a house number for that house?

Once a building permit has been issued, the Assessor’s Office can assign a valid mailing address based on the State of Maine E911 guidelines. The Assessor acts as the E-911 Addressing Officer and will coordinate the establishment of a new house number with the United States Post Office, the Fire Department, the Police Department, and 911.

I owned a business in Brunswick that has since moved or closed, do I need to notify the Assessor’s Office?

Yes, please notify the Assessor’s Office if your business has moved within Brunswick, moved out of Brunswick, changed owners, or simply closed its doors.