Permits & Applications

Permits & Applications


A variety of required permits are linked here in pdf format, as well as other applications pertaining to construction projects and development review in the Town of Brunswick. Please bring the form/application with your fee to the Department of Planning & Development, 85 Union Street, or mail the completed application with your check or money order to:

Department of Planning & Development
85 Union Street
Brunswick, Maine 04011

If you have questions regarding any Town of Brunswick permitting or application process, or any other forms on this page, please contact the Department of Planning and Development at (207) 725-6660.


The Maine Uniform Building and Energy Code (MUBEC) is utilized in the Town of Brunswick, effective December 1st, 2010.

MUBEC consists of:

  • 2015 International Building Code
  • 2015 International Existing Building Code
  • 2015 International Residential Code
  • 2009 International Energy Conservation Code

These codes can be purchased on-line at the “International Code Council” (ICC) website at

The following ASHRAE standards are also adopted in this code:

  • Ventilation for Acceptable Indoor Air Quality
  • Ventilation and Acceptable Indoor Air Quality in Low-Rise Residential Buildings
  • Standard Practice for Radon Control

These standards can be purchased on-line at the ASHRAE website at

Building Permit

A Building Permit is required when a building is constructed, demolished, moved, added to or structurally altered. Any building permit application shall be accompanied by plans drawn to scale, a plot plan and a cross section. Please allow 7 to 10 working days to receive approval of the building permit.

A Building Permit shall expire if the work or change is not commenced within 6 months of the date on which the permit is granted. Once work has commenced under a valid permit, it shall not expire unless the work is abandoned for 6 months or longer. Building Permit extensions may be granted by the Codes Enforcement Officer for justifiable cause. These requests must be submitted in writing to:
Building Permit Application and Fee Schedule
Standard Conditions of Permit

SPO (Shoreland Protection Zone) Permit

A SPO Permit is required for all proposed activities (such as, but not limited to: building replacement/expansion, land clearing, new roads, septic systems, and shoreline stabilization) within 250 feet, horizontal distance, of the normal high water line of a river; or within 250 feet, horizontal distance, of the upland edge of a coastal or freshwater wetland; or within 75 feet, horizontal distance of the normal high water line of a stream.
SPO Permit Application

Electrical Permit

An Electrical Permit is required whenever electrical work is done. A licensed State of Maine Electrician must do the work unless it is completed by the homeowner occupying the building.
Electrical Permit Application and Fee Schedule

Plumbing Permit

Plumbing Permits are required for any plumbing work done to a structure. A licensed State of Maine Plumber must do the work unless it is completed by the homeowner occupying the building.
Plumbing Permit Application

Sign Permit

Sign Permits are required for any new or replacement sign in the Town ofBrunswick. Please allow 7 to 10 working days to receive approval of a Sign Permit.
Sign Permit Application and Fee Schedule

Change of Use Permit

A Change of Use Permit is required when there is a change from one use to another of any structure or portion thereof, which is permitted in a particular zoning district.
Change of Use Permit Application and Fee Schedule

Development-Review Application Forms

Development Review Application   Printable / Fillable
Minor Modification Application    Printable / Fillable
Final Plan Reapproval Application   Printable / Fillable
Special Permit Application   Printable / Fillable
Conditional Use Permit Application   Printable / Fillable
Zoning Amendment Request Application   Printable / Fillable
Village Review Board Application   Printable / Fillable
Complaint Form   Printable / Fillable