Our General Assistance Program continues to be a safety net for the most needy of our citizens, assisting Brunswick residents with basic necessities, such as:
- Heating Fuel
- Household Supplies
- LP Gas
- Non-Elective Medical Services
- Personal Supplies
- Telephone When Medically Necessary
General Assistance has developed into a program that makes recipients more accountable and encourages self-reliance. A person applying for this assistance is required to utilize all available resources, such as:
- Food Stamps
- Fuel Assistance
- Subsidized Daycare
With overall maximum levels of aid being quite low, it is critical to network with local and area resources to access all available assistance. Brunswick is fortunate to have a variety of dedicated service providers who work together to offer services to Brunswick residents, including:
- Brunswick Community Services
- Local Clergy
- Mental Health Professionals
- Police Personnel
- School Personnel
- Senior Citizen Representatives
Assistance is also available upon completion of Maine State Property Tax and Rent Refund forms. This program includes the Low Cost Elderly Drug Card. Forms are available at the Town Office.
The following web links provide information and contact phone numbers for a variety of services available in the region:
- Food Stamps
- Maine State Housing-Supported Subsidized Housing
- Opportunity Alliance
- Pine Tree Legal Assistance
- The Salvation Army
- Tedford Housing
By accessing any of the links, you will be leaving the official website of the Town of Brunswick, Maine. The Town of Brunswick does not control, and is not responsible for, the content of any website connected by these links. Questions about the content or the links provided on any of these linked sites should be addressed to the webmaster of that site.
Toll-Free Health Information
View an extensive listing of toll-free numbers (PDF) for national organizations providing health-related information, education, and support.
Local Community Service Telephone Numbers
|American Red Cross
|Brunswick Food Bank/Pantry
|Chans Home Health Care
|Midcoast Hunger Prevention
|Oasis Free Clinic
|Sexual Assault Support
- How can I apply for general assistance?
- How do I qualify for general assistance?
- What can general assistance help me with?
- Can the Town help me to secure housing?
- What is workfare?
- What do I need to do to be eligible for future assistance?
- What would cause me to be ineligible or disqualified from the program?
- How often can I apply for assistance?
- What if I disagree with the decision of the administrator?