The Finance Committee is established as a sub-committee of the Town Council, intended to provide Councilors with an opportunity for in-depth review and analysis of the Town’s financial matters, resulting in feedback for staff and recommendations to the Town Council.
The Finance Committee is a subcommittee of the Town Council, composed of three councilors and staffed by the Finance Director.
- Sande Updegraph (Chair)
- Daniel Ankeles (Vice Chair)
- Nathaniel Shed
The meeting dates shall be established at the Committee’s first meeting, with at least one evening meeting per month.
- Third Thursday of each month
- 6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Council Chambers and by Zoom
85 Union Street
Brunswick, ME 04011
See the Finance Committee Policy
- Encourage and participate in long-range financial planning.
- Participate in review of the annual budget as recommended by the town manager and provide commentary to the Town Council.
- Review monthly budget to actual statements as prepared by the Finance Department.
- Review policies, ordinances, official statements and other documents connected with the issuance of debt.
- Review and suggest updates to the Master Schedule of Revenues, Charges, Fees and Fines, Appendix B to the Municipal Code of Ordinances.
- Review the Town’s risk management activities and insurance coverage.
- Review, as requested by the town manager, bid specifications and requests for proposals for the purchase of goods or services.
- In consultation with the Town’s administration, assist or prepare policies and/or procedures relating to the financial affairs of the Town.
- Review and administer the Capital Improvement Program (CIP) Policy, review the Town Manager’s proposed CIP, hold public CIP workshops, and provide recommendations prior to the delivery of the CIP to the Town Council.
- Oversee the Town’s independent audit through participation in selection of the independent auditor, communication with the auditor during the annual audit, review of the results of the audit, and evaluation of the auditor’s performance.
- Review and report on the Town’s investments.
- Receive and review the reports and recommendations of the Town’s Trust Fund Advisory Committee.
- Perform such other tasks and functions as may be delegated to it by the Town Council from time to time.
Julia Henze, Finance Director
The Finance Committee will present to the Town Council on an annual basis.
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas and meeting materials are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Most Recent Agendas and Minutes
The Finance Committee was established by the Town Council in August 2014. View the Finance Committee Policy (PDF).